The Department of Psychology offers the following courses that can be used towards fulfilling the College Science Requirement:
Introductory Laboratory Course
- PSYC BC1010 Introductory Laboratory in Experimental Psychology ("Intro Lab")
Group 1 Courses
- PSYC BC2107 Psychology of Learning; BC2106 Psychology of Learning Lab
- PSYC BC2115 Cognitive Psychology; BC2114 Cognitive Psychology Lab
- PSYC BC2110 Perception; BC2109 Perception Lab
- (PSYC BC2119 Systems and Behavioral Neuroscience; BC2118 Systems/Behavioral Neuro Lab - not offered after SP20)
Group 2 Courses
- PSYC BC2125 Psychology of Personality; BC2124 Psychology of Personality Lab
- PSYC BC2129 Developmental Psychology; BC2128 Developmental Psychology Lab
- PSYC BC2138 Social Psychology; BC2137 Social Psychology Lab
- PSYC BC2156 Clinical Psychology; BC2155 Clinical Lab
Students have three ways to use Psychology courses to fulfill the College Science Requirement:
1.) PSYC BC1010 "Intro Lab" + PSYC BC1001 Introduction to Psychology lecture, followed by one lecture from Group 1 or Group 2 (listed above); or
2.) PSYC BC1010 "Intro Lab" + PSYC BC1020 Behavioral Research Methods and Analysis, followed by one lecture from Group 1 or Group 2; or
3.) One Lab from Group 1 or Group 2 + the corresponding Lecture from Group 1 or Group 2 (taken concurrently), and one more lecture form Group 1 or Group 2
- PSYC BC1010 is not required, however, if taken it should be completed before one's Junior year, and prior to all other 2000-level PSYC labs (Group1 and 2 labs); and a student must have completed or be concurrently enrolled in BC1001, BC1020, or the equivalent.
- For students who entered Barnard in Fall 2021 and after, PSYC BC1001, PSYC BC1020, and PSYC BC1101 are prerequisites for all psychology 2000-level lab courses.
- Be aware that some laboratory courses are offered each semester, and some only once per year.
- You can take a course to satisfy a GED requirement (in this case, a psychology lab) for a P/D/F grade. This is a College rule, and not a Departmental one.
- Psychology Laboratory Attendance Policy: You must attend every laboratory meeting. You are allowed only two excused absences. You may not arrive late. You may not depart before you complete the day's procedure.
- Refer to the College Catalogue for more information on Requirements for a Liberal Arts Degree.
Please contact the Department Administrator with any questions.